Monday, October 20, 2008

Mint & Basil

I love mint tea. I used to go buy dried mint leaves from the local health food store to make mint tea. In the spring I bought some mint and basil plants from the farmers market down the road and planted them in my flower bed. What I didn't know is mint is like ground cover. It was taking over my flower bed, leaving little room for the flowers I also planted. I have had an abundance of mint. When it was hot I would dry the mint leaves outside on the back deck. Yesterday, because there was a threat of a freeze over night, I clipped the majority of the mint and brought it inside. All morning I've been drying mint in my oven. I will definitely have enough for the next several months.

The basil has also done well. I make my own spaghetti sauce so it was nice having fresh basil all summer long. I now have so much dried basil I don't think I can use it all. I will have to share the abundance with friends and family. It's a blessing being able to grow just a few things you would normally buy at the grocery store.

2 comments:

Candace/Chloe said...

You GO girl!!! I'll take some of that off your hands for ya! ;-)

Can't wait to see you very soon! YIPEE!

The Jackson Family said...

we have basil in our yard, too! We put it on our homemade pizza, and it is YUMMY!!

Good to know about the mint-- if we grow some, we'll put it in its own section.